Saturday, December 22, 2007

Third Time's a Charm?

I'm back in the hospital again. Ugh!

New symptoms, in addition to the old ones. Also, a urinary tract infection to boot. What is wrong with me?!?!

Warning: I include gross details. My inhibitions have all but vanished and now I don't really care who knows all the disgusting things going on with my body. But if YOU care if you know, then proceed with caution!

My test on Monday showed very little inflamation, and a small linear lesion (what was left of the original) in my intestinal lining, but no abcess. Basically, I looked almost normal. However, sometime in the three days AFTER the test I developed the UTI and an abcess--painfully squooshing other organs out of the way and settling in the lining next to my abdominal muscles. Also, they found that it is, indeed, a fistulating abcess (look it up; it's gross), and that the little bugger is attempting to eat through my muscles all the way to my skin. Translation: PAINFUL. I spent Thursday night awkwardly propped up on the couch, paralyzed with pain. So, Friday I came back here. I'm actually glad they found the abcess, because now they'll actually DO something about it.

The plan: today, they will drain the abcess (the most painful experience I've ever had, when they did it 6 years ago--you have to be awake when they do it). They'll leave the tubes in for two weeks, and if there's no more infection, they plan to go ahead and remove all the infected intestines. The surgeon said he'll try to do it laproscopically, but operating on Crohn's patients is a tricky business, and they might have to open me all the way up. Also, he doesn't know yet if they will remove only the ilium or also part of the large intestine.

The surgery is pretty simple, but I'll have to be on steriods for quite a while after, and that increases the chance that there will be a leak and a consequential infection. However, if all goes well, it will probably mean years Crohn's free, which appeals. After the surgery, if I'm recovering well, I'd stay in the hospital for about 5 days, and the doctor recommends I stay home for another two weeks after that. If everything goes as planned, this would mean that I'd go back to school right at the start of the next semester.

Looks like it will be longer than I expected before I can have that cheeseburger I've been craving!

I've been getting lots of support, thank you. Gage and Jessica stopped by last night, as did my boss (principal) Laurie, laden with gifts from school. My heart just melted when I got a present from one of the "troublemakers"! And my principal is so so so supportive--we chatted for quite a while, she feels more like a friend than a boss. She got me a beautiful wrap/shawl. And we're making arrangements for a long-term sub for the rest of January. Oh, and she brought me my laptop (obviously, I guess).

I'm rambling. Sorry. Guests are MORE than welcome, and if anybody comes after this afternoon you'll probably get the pleasure of seeing my new tubing. I remember last time I had one I named her "Cathy the Catheter." Hopefully, I'll be out of here before Christmas!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Aud, maybe you should have them implant a permanent turkey timer...

Emily said...

Holy Crap! (pun intended)
I'm so sorry Aud. I do wish you a tube-free Christmas but mostly that it gets treated properly and goes away!

My number one xmas wish is going out to you.

...and don't think about those stupid hamburgers. They don't like you anyway. (but i do)

Gage & Jessica said...

You will pull out of it soon! Demons be gone!!! Thanks for letting us stop by. Jessica left your Christmas card at home with Paul's and Terrence's. She never mailed them because she expected to see all these same people Friday night, but then we forgot them anyway, the last three that need to go in the mail. Anyway, feel better, talk soon, Gage

Stargirl said...

Thanks!

My Christmas wish is that the demons stop possessing my intestines, as well!

kaarina said...

blech... sorry you're going through all this! what a pain!

i wish we could visit.

d'you remember shannon? she deals with this all the time. if you'd like to talk crohn's i'll give you her number, or kadra can. (cuz i know you'd just love to sit around comparing gory details...)

anyway, here's hoping for a better-than-best-case-scenario!!

and i'm so glad you have such an awesome boss!

Skye said...

Oh man! I'm so sad for you to be doing this right now. What a bummer.

We're out of town for the holidays, so alas, no visit for us either right now. But we'll come see you when we get back. I hope all goes well and you recover soon. It sounds like no fun at all.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work.