Monday, December 24, 2007

Bumped up *edited*

My abscess is a bit worse than they thought, and as of Christmas Eve, I've developed another one 6-8 inches away from abscess #1. I've named this new one Santa, since he came on Christmas Eve AND because "Santa" is an acronym for "Satan." He's located above my right hip, and he's big and red and swollen and very warm to the touch. We also found out that he's made up (at least partially) of some sort of staphylococcus species. I'm taking a look at my lab reports from this morning (they did a culture of some of the gunk that came out of my abscess) and I've got:
*Light growth Klebsiella pneumoniae
*Heavy growth Presumptive Streptococcus anginosus group
*Heavy grown Staphylococcus species, coagulase negative
*Scant growth Bacteriodes fragilis

Don't worry, the staph is the kind that can be treated by normal IV antibiotics. It's just not the right kind to be treated with the Cipro and Flagyl I've been taking for everything else. But let me tell you, it was NOT the thing I wanted to be freaked out about at 3 AM on Christmas morning, when I had woken up and seen it in the mirror. The nurse was so kind to me, though.

Tomorrow I'll have another CT scan to determine how big this thing is, if the swelling's gone down at all, and if Santa has gotten any smaller. One of the nurses drew a line around it tonight with a surgical pen so we can see exactly how it changes. If it's getting bigger, we operate Thursday or Friday. If it's getting better, I think we wait another 10 days, and THEN operate.

In other news, Christmas was more cheerful than I thought a Christmas in a hospital could be! Pat and Libby are still here, and we've been watching "Lost" and playing Hand and Foot. Hubby has been here, and he next the next few days off so it was wonderful for him to stay here until late last night holding my hand and vegging out. The Wrights came by and we had a quick Christmas get-together, shortly joined by both my doctor (who brought me a cute gift and a card! so sweet!), one of the surgeons, and a nurse or two. And of course I've spoken to the fam in NY, and I got to talk to my grandma last night as well. Being in the hospital at this time of year has made me (and James) realize just how far away from personal the holidays can seem, and we've made a resolution to change our ways in future Christmases/birthdays. It's about relationships, you know? And too many people try to maintain those relationships by annual giving-of-the-perfect gift, and there's so much pressure, and the amount spent is always an issue, and everybody gets stressed out, yadda yadda. I was forced this year to forgo Christmas shopping, and instead, I talked to a lot of people. True, I got many dismissals from said shopping, but wouldn't it be nice if everybody got that dismissal? Wouldn't it be cool if no presents was genuinely the expectation? Hmmm... Maybe I'm just a grinch.

Oh, we've also become official celebrators of "Festivus." I have the perfect Festivus pole, even! It's on wheels!

No comments: