Monday, August 21, 2006

On dancing, fresh food, and tepees

This weekend, Hubby and I went to Missoula to visit our dear, dear friend Emily. She is soon embarking on a year-long journey to India. Wow! Wowie!
We decided to bring Toby, as we didn't want anyone to have to pay him constant attention for four days. We reserved the entire trunk area in the Escape for him, which was very roomy. For the whole 18-hour round trip, he was so well-behaved! I think the rhythm of the car puts him to sleep. Even though he could climb over the seat to visit us, he stayed content in his little home. He was, though, exhausted when we got to Emily's:















...But there was much rejoicing for us! There was dancing...



















...and more dancing, and laughing....



















...and embracing...















...and cuddling...



















...and playing with carrots at the dinner table!















We went to the farmer's market on Saturday morning. I bought a gigantic thing of celery, and green peppers, and melon, and carrots, and HUCKLEBERRIES! Fresh huckleberries!
And these carrots and cherries were probably plucked just the day before. Mmmm, freshness!










Emily has a real, sacred tepee in her backyard. This trip was spiritual if it was anything.

Missoula is beautiful, and the drive was relaxing. I am so thankful we were able to visit Emily's home.

And Toby had a fantastic time. We left him slumbering in the shade in back of the car while we ate Indian food at a vegan restaurant, and the little devil woke up at attacked my bags from the market! He ate an entire pepper, some celery, and a huge part of my melon. He doesn't even LIKE melon. I couldn't force feed it to him last week. I wasn't too upset about him getting into the food, since it was for him, anyway... but he ate WAYYY too much, and soon after threw it all back up. Now, I'm not one to enjoy reading much about skunk puke, but let me tell you, there was a LOT of it. I mean, probably a pound (or more) came from the belly of a three-pound skunk. I could not BELIEVE it. Fortunately, it wasn't stinky or gross. Just basically chopped veggies. But that little porker couldn't WAIT to eat more! It didn't dissuade him one bit! At any rate, the little guy had a blast with Emily. Thank you, dear, for putting up with him. He loves you.
And we love you, Emily. You are light and love. You are forever part of our lives and our family tree.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A real life sacred teepee huh? Thats nothing, I built a real life Mormon temple in my backyard. I even spent a little extra and got the optional 'Sacred Grove' package. I know it's going a little overboard, but it gives me that extra special spiritual feeling inside.

Anonymous said...

ha ha, Toby is so funny! reminds me of the time when my family returned home after trick or treating to discover our kitten (little Peanut Butter!) had devoured half of the jack-o-lantern on our front porch! the aftermath, however, WAS stinky and gross.

Jason and Emily said...

wow! hilarious pictures! What a blast.

Skye said...

oooooh, so jealous! I'm glad you got to visit!