Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Virent Ova! Viret Perna!

Two things:

First, I had a dream last night that I was thrilled at the opportunity of watching a high school dress rehearsal for Mozart's "The Marriage of Figaro." The costumes were terrific.

Second, Dr. Suess's editor bet him that he couldn't write a book using 50 different words. The result: Green Eggs and Ham. Number of different words: 50.

Check out this very scholarly summary:

Spoiler warning: Plot and/or ending details follow.
There are two characters: one named Sam-I-am, and a second who is never named. Sam is filled with energy and enthusiasm; his opposite number is morose and irritable. The plot revolves around Sam-I-am's efforts to get his friend to try "green eggs and ham" (as described above). The friend refuses to eat the dish, and only wants to be left in peace. Sam-I-am goes through a variety of locations (house, car, tree) trying to persuade his friend to eat, but without success.

The triumphant conclusion of Seuss's tale occurs when Sam-I-am's friend, standing in shallow water after a train crash, surrounded by various people and beasts, finally agrees to try the dish and turns out to be a great enthusiast. The instant turnaround in the anonymous character's attitude is somewhat similar to that of the Grinch, whom Sam-I-am's friend physically resembles except in having floppy ears.


Also, the book is also available in Latin now. I want! I want!

5 comments:

Kristin said...

Too bad you're no doctor. I believe I challenged you once, and you ignored me. Ignored!

However, I applaud the conciseness with which you thoroughly summarize the great work. I feel like I understand the text which I never did before.

Your dream: The Fantasm of Figaro! What were the costumes, pray tell?

Did you know there's a person whose name is Preyona? It's true.

Stargirl said...

Preyona?

Hmm...

I did not ignore you. Rather, I have been super busy. That does not mean, however, I have not comtemplated the challenge. I have.

And I must reluctantly admit, I did not write the summary. I found it on Wikipedia. Oh, Wikipedia! How I love thee!

Stargirl said...

Oh, and the only thing I can really say about the costumes: they looked heavy. And some of them had red on them, and gold. But all of them looked pretty heavy, like they were made of swags.

Kristin said...

So they look like heavy objects to hang above a window. The window of marital hilarity?

How's the apartment? Did you paint a big square with apple blossoms? Was James appreciative of already owning many glasses at the time of move-in? You could drink water and organic dairy immediately!

Stargirl said...

The window of marital hilarity! Yes! I'm glad we understand each other.
No square with apple blossoms, but that might happen in the bedroom. (Okay, that sounds funny!) We painted two of the walls a deep reddish brown color. We have golden curtains and black end tables, and many paintings on the walls. I do wish we had your mirror, though. I have mirror envy.
James was appreciative of the glasses, I think, but not verbal about it. I could just TELL.