Tuesday, December 02, 2008

This week is our art auction to fund raise for the New York Trip - which, coincidentally, I have put on indefinite hold, as I was doing 10 times as much work as the kids, who have totally dropped the ball. At any rate, we already had announced the art auction, and I'd already painted four paintings and printed 60 pictures for it, so we're doing it anyway, and holding on to the money for another year or so until the kids decide that they'll do the fundraising.

I was out dropping fliers by businesses on 3rd street in McMinnville, and I ran into one of our most fantastic parents. She was going the same place I was - 3rd street pizza. (3rd St Pizza is a fah-bulous pizzaria that has a movie theater with tables so you can take your food in there. LOVE it.) She got the manager out, who happens to be a friend of hers, and the manager said she could put the fliers out, and then mentioned how her walls were bare because the artist who was supposed to drop paintings by flaked on her. "Oh, you need paintings?" I asked. "Yes!" she exclaimed. "I will bring some paintings by!" I replied. And so, tomorrow after school I'll be taking her some of my work, and some of Liz's work (hopefully), and I'll be praying that the other artist doesn't drop off his paintings too soon. How much should I put them up for? Just last week, James and I were pondering the ridiculously high price some of them were asking for. $275 for a painting of a clown holding a pig? Scary! Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Amberlynn said...

Some very great artists taught me how to price work: cost of materials + cost of time + how much money it would get you to part with the thing. Often, ridiculous prices are the result of the artist simply liking their own work and wanting to hang on to it. Then again, there are egos. and this this: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/240856/i-do-not-have-any-money-so-am-sending-you-this-drawing-i-did-of-a-spider-instead-/

russia boy said...

Good Luck!!!

Gage & Jessica said...

You can't put a price on your talent! If I ever sell the artwork I have from you I will let you know what I got and split it down the middle with you.

Gage & Jessica said...

We still have many slots available for reservations for a visit. We can honor special requests for transportation to neighboring countries and historical sites. We have an extra bed now too so we don't all have to share this time.

Iron Chef Boyardee said...

But I enjoyed that John Boy down home Arkansas feel...