Saturday, November 17, 2007

Quarter Update














So, my quarter semester grades have been entered, parent conferences scheduled for next week, tests taken and new projects began. I can't believe we're already 1/4 the way finished--it feels like the school year just began.

One change that has made a HUGE difference in my day is the switch from teaching Photography to Psychology. One of the big things they wanted to learn in Psych was how to manipulate people (yeah right), so I gave them a good dose of it. Thanks to Paul's help with finding Forer's Personality test, I hooked the students on day 1. They took the personality test (I made sure to make it sound super-official) and I gave them the results the next day--but of course, they all got the same "analysis." Most of them thought it accurately described them, and they took it very seriously. Then they were appalled when I read the analysis out loud and asked who thought it sounded familiar--and all their hands went up. Hilarity ensued. And a good discussion of subjective validation, Clever Hans, and the observer-expectancy effect. It was nice to have an actual discussion with students who are genuinely interested... and even when there's a lot of chatting in the classroom, they're talking about the subject. Hallelujah! It's a nice way to end the day. Students stay after the bell to ask follow-up questions.

My favorite mini-victory: many students in that class are failing all others. The pot-heads, the apathy kids, the anarchy kids, the I-want-to-rebel-for-the-sake-of-rebelling kids. And those are the kids who raise their hands the most and offer the most insightful and intelligent comments. I love it. Now I really have something to look forward to during my day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Aud. Play to your strengths. I'm so happy that school is becoming less of a drag and more of a challenge for you. Meet it with zeal. I miss you!

Anonymous said...

This sounds wonderfully exciting. You sound like such a cool teacher.
I wish I could take a class from you :)