Monday, September 26, 2005

Adventures in Hi-Fi, version 1.0

At work today, I taught kids what black holes and quasars are. The most rewarding feeling to me is when you feel like someone really listened to you and understood what you said, and even was maybe a little excited about. It happened for three hours today!
Ask yourself these questions:
Do you know what a binary star is?
What was the first evidence of black holes?
How long does it take light to travel from the sun to the earth?
What is a supernova?
How many stars are in our galaxy?
In reference to the cosmos, what is the "Great Wall"?
How do they know how big the universe is? (clue: it is NOT infinite!)

Do these things fascinate anyone else?

I'm thinking about becoming a science teacher. Of all the things I teach in my class (art, writing, film, music, science, self-insight, communication), science is the most fun for me. Maybe that's a hint.

No comments: