Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Boonies

I like living in the country. I really miss Portland, but there's a pioneer spirit in me that I know I get from my ancestors who settled Utah and Eastern Idaho. Since buying the house in Sheridan, I do feel isolated at times, but then I appreciate the quiet and the land around me. Today I got to make dinner with sage, Cuban oregano, and rosemary from my backyard. I baked bread, one loaf to go to a neighbor who gave us apples, zucchini, and corn from their yard. I get fresh eggs from a coworker. And I've been enjoying cooking homemade dinners lately, even after a long day at work. For some reason it doesn't feel like a chore when it's in my own house.

After I get through this last grocery run, I think I'll try cutting out processed foods entirely. I've been making big enough dinners to freeze leftovers or have them for lunch, so I don't think it would be more difficult in that respect. The biggest challenge I think would be canned soup or pastas. Although, I think I'll buy a pasta machine. Mmmm...

5 comments:

Porters said...

Lady!!!! We need pictures of this house!

Anonymous said...

That sounds really nice, Audrey.

russia boy said...

I second the motion: PICTURES!!! You sound like you are so happy with your house...we want to see!!!

Stargirl said...

Okay, pictures are coming! At least let me hang some artwork. We haven't fully unpacked yet. XD

Libby: How is your house? Moved in yet? I've been thinking about you guys!

Paul and Susan said...

I'm impressed with how ambitious you are. I'm so glad you are enjoying your new home.