Saturday, October 31, 2009

The past few days were spent at McMenamin's Grand Lodge at a LFEE conference. I won't go into details, but I will say this: it was an interesting mix of really fantastic discussion about equity (concerning race, SES, and culture) and really uncomfortable "sharing of feelings"-type group hug stuff. And yes, there really was a group hug at the end. My discomfort with personal contact alone were enough to make me cringe, but add in H1N1 and I was practically having a panic attack. However, it was very validating to see how far along MACA is, especially considering we're only in our third year. Basically, we rock. Go Hellbenders!

In other news, and partially sparked by discussions at LFEE, I'm having issues dealing with my past culture and the culture I belong to now. And issues deciding what/who I want to leave behind and what I want to continue dealing with. Am I a coward/weak if I go one way? Do I have an obligation to make a certain choice over another? Am I part of the problem or the solution? What am I doing to better myself and other people - and is it doing any good? *sigh*

6 comments:

Paul and Susan said...

I think you are an awesome person who has an influence for good on many people. I enjoy being with you and appreciate you kindness and friendliness to me.

Gage & Jessica said...

I am not sure which culture you are talking about leaving behind but I think it is probably bigger than putting your childhood dolls and stuffed animals away. Plus, I know you still keep those on your bed anyway.

Blair said...

"To thine own self be true." There is no such thing as an obligation to a culture. There is only obligation to yourself and what you believe to be right and true. Choosing one side over another is not cowardly or weak, it is simply a part of life--a very important part of life, for it is our choices that define us.

Blair said...

Oh, and I wish you well in your effort to resolve your issues. :) I think you are doing plenty to better others--your whole career seems to be devoted to that.

Now how about a group hug? :)

Steve said...

Wow - those are hard questions you are asking, but good ones. Necessary ones. As you sort through things proceed with caution. Be careful to not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Unfortunately I couldn't begin to tell you how to figure out what is bathwater and what is the baby... :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.