Saturday, May 17, 2008

Perks

There are few perks to being a teacher. Sure, we're guaranteed national holidays off (even though having two weeks off for Christmas was convenient, this year it didn't really seem like a "perk"), and we get summers "off" (if you're a half-decent teacher, this really just equates to about two weeks), but the amount of overtime a teacher puts in is really ridiculous. At least, if you're doing your job right. But during the day, I can't think of any real "sweet" benefits. You're lucky when you get time to use the bathroom between 8:25 and 12:15. Your stuff gets stolen, drawn on, and broken. You get constant emails, calls, and unexpected drop-ins from unhappy "clients" (i.e., parents). You get observed regularly. You get constant reminders of how imperfect you are.

You get the picture. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining per se, but being a teacher's harder than most people realize. It's like most jobs - until you've actually experienced it, you can't really "get" it.

Thursday and Friday I got the rare opportunity to go on an overnight trip with 13 sophomores to help begin the planning process for a service retreat next year. The meetings took place at one of the students' grandma's house. It happened to be next to the beach, at Oceanside. On the warmest days we've experienced this year. Needless to say, it was a welcome change to the regular school week.

This is the view from the front patio where we held our meetings:















I was almost washed away shortly after I took this picture. I clung to the boulder on the left while the surf washed up to my waist. Tide was coming in and that was the biggest swell the beach had seen since the day before!






































Due to privacy issues, I can't post pictures of students at this time. BUT... I don't think anyone would recognize feet.






























Our house was one of the ones on the left.















It had to be one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever experienced. These pictures do NOT do it justice, sadly.































6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photos, Aud. I think that was a great perk.

Emily said...

What a lovely trip. I love the feet.
I believe you that the difficulty of being a teacher is under-appreciated until you experience it. I'm having the same feelings about motherhood.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! I will have to make a point to go to Oceanside Oregon some day. I hope all is well! Janeal

Gage & Jessica said...

Teaching sounds tough. Being sick seems tough. I hope you are balancing both with an awesome personal life and maybe some secretly illegal involvement.

Jason and Emily said...

You've got to be kidding. This is incredible.

I love hearing about how difficult a life teachers have. Not too many people understand. I've only subbed for teachers for about two years, but that was long enough to say "HOLY COW" very loudly.

Stargirl said...

It's always a treat to have Miss Emily Potter as a guest...

:)